Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /customers/3/9/b/wadstromtonnheim.se/httpd.www/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 284 Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /customers/3/9/b/wadstromtonnheim.se/httpd.www/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 284 Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /customers/3/9/b/wadstromtonnheim.se/httpd.www/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 284 Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /customers/3/9/b/wadstromtonnheim.se/httpd.www/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 284
Posted on maj 17, 2022
Wadström Tönnheim Gallery proudly participates at Volta Art Fair in New York. We are exhibiting amazing works by the following artists; Matias Di Carlo (sculptures) from Argentina, Daniel Fleur (paintings) from Sweden, Torbjörn Johansson (paintings) from Sweden and Henry Swanson (paintings) from US. We hope to see you at Volta art fair in the Chelsea district on Manhattan at 548 West 22nd Street, between 18-22 of May. Welcome!
Posted on april 2, 2022
TORBJÖRN JOHANSSON ”The Stroke Series”
Wadström Tönnheim Gallery, Marbella
2 of April – 29 of May, 2022
Wadström Tönnheim Gallery happily presents its first solo exhibition with the established Swedish artist Torbjörn Johansson, which also his is first solo exhibition in Spain. Vernissage is open for all and everyone on Saturday the 2th of April between 19.00-21.30h.
Torbjörn Johansson’s works are based on an exploratory painting and have in exhibitions and public independent works examined the relationship between colour and our sense organs, not only the sense of sight but also tactility and our ability of spatial orientation. Johansson wants to expand our experience of colour as materiality, medium and experience. Here, Torbjörns art is in dialogue with the 1970s Light and Space movement with, among others, James Turell and Robert Irwin.
About the current exhibition – The Stroke Series
– I strive for an absolute presence and total concentration in the act of painting, in the same way as it was a necessity in my first artistic activity, glass blowing. There, all decisions were made in total presence, incorporated from an experience. The attention to what was happening where total. I have reached that same state in meetings with musicians during performance painting. Also there, choices were being made at the moment rested on a well-founded/incorporated knowledge. I always strive for a similar presence in the studio. Material meetings, the execution, and the act of painting are the main concern in my practice. Furthermore, I want to go back to my first encounter with painting, where I was fascinated by its oscillation between being a physical material to describe a light, a space, a state, a presence, a room, or an object. I then saw painters such as Evert Lundqvist (Sweden) and Velasquez (Spain) and was strongly affected by the commute between physical material and what it can lend itself to represent. I start my work in an exploratory way where mistakes become part of the work process that can lead me to new in-depth questions, both practical, theoretical, and philosophical. I want to examine painting as color as materiality, medium, and experience.
I have performed the current series in three different formats to explore the repetition and see what the different formats require and can give each other. I usually start with two, sometimes three colors that I slowly build up in acrylic. At a given moment, the paintings get an additional color that carries a massive material quality. This color of oil and wax cracks after a while and further demonstrates the oscillation between physical material and image.
Torbjörn Johansson, March 2022
Torbjörn Johansson, Born in Emmaboda, 1959. Royal Institute of Art, Stockholm, 1987 – 1992. Founder initiator of the studio house Wip: Stockholm and Kummelholmen, a new cultural meeting place in Stockholm. Selected exhibitions: Danshallerne, Copenhagen, Örebro Art Gallery, Örebro, Färgfabriken, Stockholm, Center for Contemporary Art, Trondheim, Gallery Niklas Belenius, Stockholm, Botkyrka Art Gallery, Botkyrka, Moderna Museet, Malmö, Mårtensson Persson, Båstad, Wallner Gallery, Malmö, Art Archive, Värnamo, Statens Konstråd, Stockholm, Stefan Andersson Gallery, Umeå, Argo Gallery, Stockholm, Haninge Art Gallery Haninge, Katrineholms Art Gallery, Katrineholm, Molekyl Gallery, Malmö, Moderna Museet, Stockholm, Arnstedt Gallery, Östra Karup, Cites des Art, Paris , Gallery VER, Bangkok, Verkstad, Norrköping, Liljevalchs, Stockholm, PS1, New York.
Posted on februari 3, 2022
Wadström Tönnheim Gallery, Marbella
28 of January – 27 of March, 2022
Wadström Tönnheim Gallery proudly presents its third solo exhibition with the emerging Swedish artist Daniel Fleur, and it’s Daniels first solo exhibition in Spain.
Fleur is a painter who lives and works in Malmö, Sweden. The artist is known for the way he examines the merging of the digital and the physical. By using various combinations of textured brushstrokes, loose washes, distinct graphic lines, and different canvases, the works embody a genre of painting that explores the organization of social space in the digital age. Each painting contains elements of representation and abstraction and resembles both pictorial landscapes and gestural abstractions. Marks swarm and dissolve, spaces grow and collapse, and layers weave and pull apart. These paintings require different types of looking at different moments, and from different vantage points. They remind us that our field of perception is itself fractured and ambivalent.
– This new body of paintings expands the artist’s formal language and explores the themes of repetition, the act of looking and the passing of time. And it’s with tremendous pride, joy and excitement we present this third solo exhibition at Wadström Tönnheim Gallery. We have built a strong prosperous collaboration together with Daniel since I discovered this amazing talent eight years ago when I met him at one of my many visits to Malmö Art Academy. Says Mattias Tönnheim, founder and director of the gallery.
Daniel Fleur was born in 1992 in Lemera, Democratic Republic of Congo. Daniel lives and works in Malmö (Sweden) since 2014. He holds a MFA from Malmö Art Academy (he graduated 2018). See next page for Daniels full CV.
For more information and press photos contact: Mattias Tönnheim +46 704-411914 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Address and opening hours: Poligono Nueva Campana, Local 37B, Nueva Andalucia (Marbella). The exhibitions opens Friday the 28th of January between 19.00-21.30h and goes on until the 27 of March 2022. The gallery is open Monday – Friday at 14.00-18.00. And we are open any day by appointment.
Posted on november 12, 2021
Wadström Tönnheim Gallery are happy to announce two amazing solo exhibitions. The exhibition “Hugging the void” by the Spanish-German artist Alexa Grande based in Sevilla and “Solid Ground” by the Swedish artist Stefan Otto that is based in Stockholm. The opening is on Friday the 12 of November at 19.00-22.00 pm.
Alexa Grande – Hugging the void
Hugging the void is not a leap of faith into the void but a reconciliation with it, with nothingness. It is an impossible game. It is like facing the unknown, passing through the ruins of what was once safe and solid. The paintings contain open spaces, full of gaseous atmosphere, smoke or fog. A glance makes its way, in these pictures, through the remains of structures that are already obsolete, after having surpassed the limit of their resistance. These are structures that easily embrace and let themselves be hung in the air.
In architecture, color is used to represent the strength of structures. Light in its entire spectrum, appears as a chromatic map. These paintings appropriate the architectural language, to make a speculative reading of the possible pressures suffered by these structures, where red would be the area of greatest and violet the one with least suffering, trying to create stories of the collapse. The sky as a symbol of constant change, due to the movement of air, light and colors, reminds us of the ancestral sensation of being at the mercy of climate changes, feeling helpless, defenseless, without a protective structure. A period of restlessness and change in which the voids overlap.
– We are really pleased with our two new solo exhibitions. Hugging the void exhibition is a new collaboration with the Spanish artist Alexa Grande, that used to live in Germany and also has a German citizenship. She works both with paintings and sculptures. Stefan Otto on the other hand is doing his third solo show for the gallery, plus has done several group exhibitions and fairs together with the gallery. Stefan is an absolute fantastic and innovative artist and he has become a close friend over the years and I am looking forward to develop a fruitful relationship with the very promising Alexa Grande too, says Mattias Tönnheim, Director for Wadström Tönnheim Gallery.
Stefan Otto – Solid Ground
Stefan Ottos work is recognized by an approach of investigative uncertainties. Whether it be through cleverly manipulated videos or when he’s trying to dissect the male ego or as in his new body of work dealing with the most classical of all motives: the landscape. Nothing is ever unambiguos or assertive. Otto twists and turns reality and lets the work-process stand as a metaphor for the various layers that make up the human experience.
Otto works in a variety of media – painting, photography, video, installations sculpture and text. Often combining them all into a larger narrative. This time his work focuses on the environment, or rather human interference reflected back as nature. Toxic colors, waste and the future as a fleeting sensation.
For more information contact: Mattias Tönnheim, +46704-411914 or email@example.com
Address and opening hours: Poligono Nueva Campana, Local 37B, Nueva Andalucia (Marbella). The exhibitions opens Friday the 12 of November at 19.00-22.00 pm and goes on until the 9 of January 2022. And we are open any day by appointment.
Posted on september 27, 2021
KRYSTOFER KIMMEL // LA POÉTICA DE LA CANCHA
HENRY SWANSON // ANKLE BITER
Wadström Tönnheim Gallery, Marbella 18 of September – 7 of November, 2021
Wadström Tönnheim Gallery proudly presents two dynamic solo exhibitions by the young emerging American artists Krystofer Kimmel “La poética de la cancha” and Henry Swanson “Ankle Biter”. The vernissage is on Saturday the 18 of September at 19.00-21.30 pm.
– My work examines movement and the abstraction of figures through distortions of form, color, and time. As a subject, I have been exploring football for compositional richness, due to the passion for football which unites people, and for the symbolism it contains which forms its own visual language, says Krystofer Kimmel.
Krystofer Kimmel (b. 1993 – West Palm Beach, Florida) is an artist based in Paris who primarily works in painting – for which he received a BFA from the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) in 2016. Kimmel was formerly based in Brooklyn, NY where he worked for paint manufacturer Guerra Paint & Pigment Corporation, was director and curator of At Large – an artist-run gallery in Brooklyn – and has most recently exhibited with East Projects (NY) in 2020. Works present in this exhibition have been created in Brooklyn, Paris and in Hampshire, England. In his youth, Kimmel was a varsity high school athlete in football and track. His experience with sport and athletics remains present in the artist’s life, and is the inspiration for the Footballeurs series currently presented in: La Poética de la Cancha. More info at: http://www.krystoferkimmel.studio/ Instagram: @kryskiml
– My art balances the mixed emotional perfectionism in the dynamic between aged creative process and unfettered creativity with in the domestic space. The continuing and abstract desire to “improve upon” what is immediate and the escape both old and young people seek to mediate. Additionally my Ankle Biter show discusses the notion of parenting and the tailor-made consciousness that comes with creative instinct, says Henry Swanson.
Henry Swanson (b. 1993 – Dallas, Texas) is a New York-based artist, that works in a variety of media to express memories and settings that recall the interplay of performative familial functionality at odds with the comedy of youthful strife. Using an absurdist image base riddled with stand-ins and totems, Swanson takes aim at the spectrum of youth, including everything from questionable parenting to domestic settings where cherries were popped and wild decisions were made. Playing himself both as the hacky over-worked, religiously-adjacent parent of a child let loose to wreak havoc on your local water park and the impulse ridden demon living inside that child’s brain, Swanson’s work wryly portrays the future of millennial parenting in a black hole of vague boomer philosophy. More info at: http://www.henryswansonart.com/ Instagram: @henry__swanson
For more information and press photos please contact: Mattias Tönnheim, +46 704-411914 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Address and opening hours: Poligono Nueva Campana, Local 37B, Nueva Andalucia (Marbella). The exhibitions opens Saturday the 18 of September at 19.00-21.30 pm and goes on until the 7 of November. And we are open any day by appointment. Because of the Covid19 situation and the surrounding circumstances and restrictions there can be a change in opening hours or visiting capacity due to new regulations. And of course we follow all the necessary restrictions and regulations that are surrounding this pandemic shit show.
Wadström Tönnheim Gallery’s mission is to examine the idea of the painterly, be it also through related media such as photography, sculpture, installations, video and drawing, in order to understand and to promote the direction of painting and its relevance to contemporary visual culture. WTG is owned and operated by Mattias Tönnheim & Andreas Åkesson. www.wadstromtonheim.se